Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Third Broadway Show of 2015: "If/Then"


Over the weekend, my mom visited me in New York. And as we always do when she visits, we went to see a Broadway show! Back in November we tried seeing If/Then starring Idina Menzel. We had amazing seats and were so excited...but five minutes before the show started we found out Idina wasn't there. I'm sure her understudy was great too, but since the main reason we wanted to see the show was because of her, we decided to leave and exchange our tickets for This Is Our Youth starring Michael Cera (which was so good too!)  If/Then is about to end its run in about a week, so we knew we had to see it while we still could!



The show centers around Idina Menzel's character Elizabeth and shows how much little decisions can completely change the way your life turns out. After getting divorced and moving back to New York from Phoenix, Elizabeth isn't sure what her next steps in life should be. When she has to choose which of her two friends to hang out with one afternoon, that tiny decision completely changes the path of her life. "Liz" meets a guy and starts a family but doesn't have a career she's really happy with. On the other hand, "Beth" has her dream career but a rocky love life. Scenes switch off between the two characters and we can see how different their lives become.

I had never seen a show or read a book with a similar storyline, and I think it was so creative and original! You find yourself rooting for the two characters at different times, not sure which path is better for Elizabeth since both have their ups and downs. There were a lot of funny parts in the show and really touching parts too, so it was really the perfect variety. And of course, since Idina Menzel was the lead, there were lots of songs! They were fun and catchy, and a lot of the songs switched back and forth between being Liz or Beth, so it was really interesting! I really liked all the songs, and Idina Menzel was amazing live. Although I've heard she can be a bit of a diva, there's no denying she is so talented! The rest of the cast was so great too. Anthony Rapp, who costarred in the Rent Broadway show and movie with Idina, was in the show and really good. And the other stars LaChanze and James Snyder were really impressive too. If you are in New York City and have the opportunity to see If/Then before it ends, you definitely need to go see it!


Idina Menzel and Anthony Rapp in the show

To this date, I have seen ten Broadway shows and even though I have liked all of them, If/Then was one of my favourites! I would love to see Idina Menzel in another show someday, and seeing this has gotten me excited to see even more Broadway shows soon. The next ones I'm planning to see...Cabaret starring Emma Stone and The Heidi Chronicles which just started!

My mom and I both loved the show and had an amazing night!

No comments:

Post a Comment