Friday, March 13, 2015

Mother/Daughter Weekend in NYC

Last weekend, my mom came to NYC for a few days to spend time with me, see a Broadway show, and do lots of other fun things! I don't plan on living in the Northeast long-term, but at this point in my life, it's so great living close enough to home that my family can visit me for a weekend, or I can head home to Boston for a few days!

The weekend started off on Thursday when I met my mom at Port Authority Bus Station. After meeting up with her, we went to a nearby Thai restaurant where I got delicious pad thai! When we finished our late lunch, we headed back to my apartment to relax and watch some tv. We found Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist on tv which I was so happy about! I had been wanting to re-watch that movie for so long, especially after we saw Michael Cera in a Broadway show back in November (and met him)!


The next day was full of fun things! First we took the subway to Soho and went into a bunch of different shops. There were some second-hand stores that were full of nice things and a shabby chic furniture store that was completely my style. I used to get so bored by interior design, but as I've gotten older I've developed a love for it!


Once we shopped enough to work up an appetite, we walked over to Chelsea Market. My mom had never been there, so I had fun showing her all the cool shops, restaurants, and food stands. For lunch, we decided to get a chicken pesto crêpe to split. We watched our crêpe being made (and lots of other people's crêpes that looked amazing), and it reminded me of being in France. It was so delicious, and I think I'll have to visit that place again to try a dessert crêpe sometime! After walking around and checking out a bunch of the shops (Italian cooking supplies, a wine shop, and an artsy flea market), we went to a bakery called Eleni's for cookies. We got chocolate with white chocolate chips, and they were so good!

getting ready to eat our delicious crêpe!
Next we headed up to Midtown to check out the Museum of Modern Art. I haven't been to many museums since I've lived in New York, so we decided to take advantage. And the best part was that the MoMA is free on Friday nights! We walked around and saw all the exhibits. I think my favourite artists we saw were Van Gogh and Andy Warhol. I recognised a bunch of the art and had a great time walking through and taking it all in. I know there are a bunch of free museums in NYC, so I defintiely want to try and visit some more while I'm living here.
posing with a pair of underwear...I mean, "art" ;)

After the MoMA, we went to a Brazilian restaurant for drinks and some food. We got margaritas and a dish with chicken, beef, sausage, and pineapple. The food was really good but the drinks were just average and really overpriced, so I don't think we'll be going back to that restaurant!

The next day, we took the subway up to Lexington on the Upper East Side. We did some shopping and got lunch at a little cafe. I haven't been up to that area too much but I really liked it! There were so many cute restaurants and cafes and it almost felt like we were in Paris. After spending some time on Lexington, we went down to Times Square to get some Broadway tickets. We got tickets to see If/Then starring Idina Menzel. We had tried seeing it once before but Idina wasn't in that day, so we didn't end up going. But it's about to end its run so we knew we had to see it while we still could! Before the show, we got some Italian dinner from Tony's near Times Square and then got a piece of red velvet cake, hot chocolate, and coffee from Junior's. Both were delicious, and then it was time for the show! If/Then was so amazing, and if you want to read about it in more detail, I wrote another post all about the show recently :)


On Sunday, we headed into Chelsea again. We went to a restaurant called Westville for brunch that was really cool, and the food was awesome! My mom got a Greek salad with chicken, I got a kale salad with poached eggs, bacon, and avocado, and we got sweet potato fries to share. I haven't been out for brunch quite enough since living in New York, but I definitely want to experience more restaurants like that one. After brunch, we walked all around Chelsea some more and then headed south through the West Village, Soho, and Little Italy. I really liked the areas we walked through because they were way less crowded and overwhelming than the Midtown area where I work. For dinner, we went to a little Italian restaurant for pasta and then walked around a little more before heading home.

a cool pop-up store in Chelsea

The next day, I had to work but was able to meet up with my mom for one more lunch before she went home. It was such a great weekend, and I can't wait for her to come visit again. She just booked her bus to come again in April for a few days, and before that I'm going home for Easter weekend which I am so excited about! It was a great weekend and I was glad we were able to check out some different parts of NYC that we haven't experienced before!

No comments:

Post a Comment