Saturday, February 7, 2015

Second Broadway Show of 2015: "Kinky Boots"


Thursday night, I went with my friend and her mom to see a Broadway show that I've been wanting to see for ages... Kinky Boots! After work, I braved the frigid cold New York City weather to walk over to the Al Hirschfield Theatre near Times Square to meet up with Kirsten and her mom. We originally had tickets for three seats that weren't together. (We wanted to sit in the orchestra section rather than the mezzanine, and the only seats available at the time were separate from each other.) But when we checked in, the man at the ticket booth ended up finding us three seats together that were even better than our original seats! We had an amazing view of the stage.



If you aren't familiar with the show Kinky Boots, I'll give you a quick recap of the plot. The show starts with two young boys in England. The father of the first boy owns a shoe factory, but the boy isn't really interested in following in his father's footsteps and taking over the family business when he gets older. The second boy opens the show by performing an impressive dance routine in a pair of red high heels before his father yells at him to take the shoes off. The show then fast forwards to when the boys are adults. The first boy, Charlie, moves to London with his girlfriend, but is forced to go back home to take over the family shoe factory after his father dies. The factory is struggling, and that's when he meets the other boy who is a drag queen and goes by the name of Lola. The two become friends, and Charlie realizes there's an under-served market in the shoe industry that could save his father's business—shoes for men who like to wear women's shoes. Charlie and Lola then go into business together developing a line of boots to showcase at Fashion Week in Milan. Some drama and lots of funny moments follow! The music for Kinky Boots was written by Cyndi Lauper, and the show won several Tony awards, including the award for "Best Musical" in 2013!

Every aspect of the show was just so impressive: the music, the choreography, the set design, the lighting, the costumes, the performers... As soon as we sat down, we saw that the set looked amazing. And that was just one of the many incredible sets in the show! When the lights went down and the show began, the entire theatre seemed to transform and everyone was in awe! The opening song was so catchy and fun, and as the show went on, I was amazed by how many awesome songs there were in the show. Everyone in the show was also a fantastic performer. They all had great voices and were really able to captivate the audience. I think my favourite songs in the show were "The History of Wrong Guys," "Sex is in the Heel," and "Land of Lola," but I really loved them all! If you are in New York City, I would highly recommend going to see Kinky Boots!



As I always do at Broadway shows, I had an amazing night and didn't want the show to end! I am so glad I got the chance to see Kinky Boots since I had been wanting to see it for so long. I'm also really happy that I've already been able to see two Broadway shows so far in 2015! (I set a goal for myself to see six this year, so I'm already 1/3 of the way to reaching my goal!) The next Broadway show I want to see... If/Then starring Idina Menzel which ends its run on March 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment